Valentine’s Saffron, Crab and Mussels Risotto
This Valentines day doesn’t have to cost a fortune, just very good homemade food with lots of love.
(COOKING + PREP TIME 40MINS)
- 300g of arborio rice
- 1 banana shallot
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 2 large knobs of butter
- A large pinch of saffron
- ½ a litre of veggie stock
- 1 large fennel bulb
- ½ lemon
- Olive oil
- 100ml of white wine
- 400g of mussels
- 100g of 50/50 Cornish crab
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Start by peeling the garlic and shallot – finely slice the shallot and mince the garlic with a garlic crusher.
- Boil the kettle and add the saffron along with veggie stock to a saucepan, allowing the saffron to start flavouring and colour the stock.
- Add the butter to a deep saucepan and heat to medium to low so it doesn’t burn, then add the shallot and cook for 3-4 minutes. Finely chop the fennel (saving the fennel tops for later) and add to the shallots with a little salt. Cook for 10 minutes to soften up the fennel and add the minced garlic for the last few minutes.
- ?Add the arborio and mix well for a minute before adding in the white wine. Once the white wine has been added keep stirring for about 2-3 minutes until the wine has been absorbed. Add the stock a little at a time for around 15 minutes, until the rice has a little bite left and not too dry. Keep stirring throughout adding the stock.
- For the last 5 minutes of cooking time, place into a deep saucepan and steam for 5 minutes with the lid on. Time this with the risotto cooking time so it will all be served at the same time.
- Keep the temperature at medium to low and add the lemon juice, a pinch of salt and crab and mix well.
- Add the mussels to the risotto with a final pinch squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Enjoy hot and quickly after cooking.