Being on the doorstep of so many excellent bakeries in East London, you’ll be sure to bag yourself a freshly baked sourdough loaf to give this recipe the best-laid foundations it deserves. East London’s Manon’s Cuisine takes your bog-standard avo on toast to greater heights, adding fresh crayfish tails and whipping up this creamy homemade mayonnaise like a pro – you’ll never want a shop-bought jar again!
Crayfish Tartines with Homemade Mayonnaise
- Half an avocado
- 100g of crayfish tails
- 1 large egg yolk
- 150ml of rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp of mustard
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- Olive oil
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 1 small courgette
- Few slices of cucumber
- Salad cress
- Salt + Pepper
- Break the egg into a bowl and slowly take out the yolk with your fingers, letting the whites drain through and place into another bowl. Add in the mustard, salt and pepper and whisk.
- Slowly start to drizzle in the rapeseed oil, drop by drop then whisk energetically until its starts to combine and thicken up. Continue to whisk, adding in the oil more quickly.
- Once you have used up all the oil and achieved a thick consistency add in the vinegar and lemon juice and season to taste.
- Using a mandolin or a very sharp knife cut the small courgette into thin slices and marinate it salt lemon juice and olive oil.
- Cut the avocado and the cucumber into thin slices.
- Toast the bread and let cool before adding on the mayonnaise. Then place the sliced cucumber and avocado and finally the crayfish. Sprinkle on the marinated baby courgette and salad cress.
Tag us with your copy of Beast magazine @beastmag_london on Instagram