Lentil Stuffed Peppers
No need to count the calories for this one, it’s super healthy and easily made vegan. Sweet sultanas and warm spices balanced with the tartness of the feta cheese, yum
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 small tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1tsp ras el hanout
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- Salt + Pepper
- 1 small handful of sultanas
- 1 can of plum tomatoes
- 1 small courgette
- 1/2 a white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small mug of couscous
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp pf turmeric
- 1 tbsp of extra olive oil
- 2 Handuls of rocket
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 25g of feta cheese
- 1 can of cooked green lentils
- 2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Slice the red peppers in half and carefully take out the seeds to make space for the filling.
- Crush the garlic with a garlic crusher into a small bowl and add the oregano, sugar, cumin seeds, ras el hanout and mix together well. Dice the white onion and fry on medium heat with a glug of olive oil. After 2 minutes of light frying add the spices/garlic mix and then cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Cut the courgette into small cubes, similar size to the diced onion and add into the pan for a further 5-7 minutes before adding the sultanas and the can of plum tomatoes.
- Once you have added the can of tomatoes turn up the heat to medium/high and gently break down the tomatoes with the back of your wooden spatula. Add in another tbsp of sugar to balance out the tomatoes and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the cous cous in a bowl with salt, pepper, turmeric and the couscous, then squeeze in 1/2 the lemon and add in just enough boiled water to cover the couscous. Then add a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and stir before popping on the lid. Let the couscous absorb the water for 10 minutes before fluffing up with a fork.
- Now back to the filling. Drain and then add in the can of cooked lentils and stir through just to let them warm up. Then carefully fill up the peppers with the mixture and drizzle over some olive oil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once you have fluffed up the couscous, plate up on a large dish and spread the couscous evenly on the base. Then add a handful of rocket for a colour pop and place the red peppers on top, crumble over the feta and if vegan then take this out, and drizzle over some pomegranate molasses for the final touch.